Monday, March 29, 2010

Glass Straws invade McDonald's!

I invaded McDonald by getting a group of like minded to bring our plates when ordering. We called it the Green Mob.

This entry is to tell you that I really had done that and still doing it!

I blogged about using reusable straws previously and it got attention from a friend of mine, Danny who is also interested in saving the environment. He thus ordered some from Glass Dharma and it was here 2 weeks ago!

I was so thrilled with them. I took a look at them every other day! *like my babies...*

We did a mob like event in McDonald again but this time, the focus is all on the lovely glass straws.





I will come back with pictures and details soon!

2 bla's:

Dangerous Variable said...

There is a reason why commercial kitchens bans anything that is made from glass into the kitchen let alone a fast food chain. Chips from the glass can get into your body and create havoc cutting you to pieces. Rethink about the glass straws again. Drink from the cup and then refresh your lipstick after the drink :) I won't dare use any glass in my drink except for the cup. That's why we throw away chipped glasses.

DanMav3rick said...

Glass Dharma are made from borosilicate glass, the safest and strongest glass commercially available. The producer is so confident with the product that they will extend a full refund if a customer is not satisfied. A bit more facts on; Borosilicate glasses are known for having very low coefficients of thermal expansion (~5 × 10−6 /°C at 20°C), making them resistant to thermal shock, more so than any other common glass. Due to the advantage of borosilicate glass, it was widely used as scientific instrument, kitchenware and also by NASA. However it is also not invincible, it will crack if subjected to very sudden and radical temperature fluctuations, or if it is dropped. It is more likely to crack or snap than to shatter, however, making it a safer glass to have around in a situation where breakage is a concern. In the event that borosilicate glass does crack, it is generally easier and safer to clean up than shattered glass.

Sources:
http://www.iqsdirectory.com/glass-cutting/borosilicate-glass/

http://www.ecu.edu/glassblowing/gb.htm#Equipment, Materials, Tools, and Terminology

http://www.udel.edu/chem/GlassShop/PhysicalProperties.htm

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1992BICRS...2...49A

Post a Comment